WentWest has collaborated on several research projects and over the past six years has contributed to 34 studies.
Research in Western Sydney
The role we’ve played has varied from active and full partner, to supporter and enabler via our community and health professional contacts.
Below is a list of completed and published research that features studies with current or past WentWest staff members as authors, or studies where WentWest has provided support for execution of the study in some form.
These studies have all had a significant focus on either developing new knowledge or evaluating current programs and services within Western Sydney to benefit our community and the health care providers who serve them.
Areas of focus are generally, but not exclusively, aligned with our research priorities, mental health, Patient Centered Medical Home, system reform, vulnerable populations and chronic disease. We also have an ambition to have every major commissioned service with an appropriate research and evaluation dimension.
- A mixed-methods evaluation of an urban Aboriginal diabetes lifestyle program. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. Tamara Power, Leah East, Yu Gao, Kim Usher, Debra Jackson (2021)
- Association between potential primary care emergency service and general practitioner care utilisation in New South Wales. Emergency Medicine Australasia. Baohui Y, Messom R. (2020)
- Determinants of treatment non-attendance among those referred to primary mental healthcare services in Western Sydney, Australia: a retrospective cohort study. Munasinghe, S., Page, A., Mannan, H., Ferdousi, S., & Peek, B. (2020)
- Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) transitions in Western Sydney, Australia: a qualitative study. BMC Health Services Research. Metusela C, Usherwood T, Lawson K, Angus L, Kmet W, Ferdousi S, Reath J. (2020)
- Referral patterns to primary mental health services in Western Sydney (Australia): an analysis of routinely collected data (2005-2018). Int Journal of Mental Health Systems. Munasinghe S, Page A, Mannan H, Ferdousi S, Peek B. (2020)
- Trapped in Statelessness: Rohingya Refugees in Bangladesh. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. Abul Milton, Mijanur Rahman, Sumaira Hussain, Charulata Jindal, Sushmita Choudhury, Shahnaz Akter, Shahana Ferdousi, Tafzila Mouly, John Hall, Jimmy Efird. (2017)
- A decision support tool to inform local suicide prevention activity in Greater Western Sydney (Australia). Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. Page, Andrew; Atkinson, Jo-An; Campos, William; Heffernan, Mark; Ferdousi, Shahana; Power, Adrian; Maranan, Nereus; Hickie, Ian. (2017)
- Detecting the hidden burden of pre-diabetes and diabetes in Western Sydney. Journal of Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, Vol. 151. Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz, Shanthini Seelan, Thava Seelan, Lumina Titus, Tien-Ming Hng, Pankaj Guar, Shahana Ferdousi, Thomas Astell-Burt, Xiaoqi Feng, Stephen Colagiuri Glen Maberly. (2019)
- Experiences of primary healthcare professionals and patients from an area of urban disadvantage: a qualitative study. BJGP open. Reath J, King M, Kmet W, O’Halloran D, Brooker R, Aspinall D, Bittar H, Seelan T, Burke M, Usherwood T. (2019)
- Effectiveness of joint specialist case conferences for building general practice capacity to enhance diabetes care. Journal of Integrated Care. Meyerowitz-Katz G, Bramwell S, Jayaballa R, Bishay R, Corless I, Ravi S, Soars L, Feng X, Astell-Burt T, Manoharan M, McLean M. (2018)
- Western Sydney Medicare Local and Western Sydney Local Health District Partnership Evaluation. Reath J; Burns P; Brooker R; Abbott P.; Renshaw B; Usherwood. (2014)
- Supporting Primary Health Care Providers in Western Sydney Areas of Socio-Economic Disadvantage. King M; Usherwood T; Brooker R; Jennifer R. (2016)
- The Western Sydney Integrated Care Program – Qualitative Evaluation. Trankle SA.; Reath J; Usherwood T; Abbott P.; Roberts M; Crampton M; Girgis C.; Riskallah J; Chang Y; Saini J. (2017)
- Understanding Patient Centred Medical Home (PCMH) Transitions in Western Sydney. Metusela C; Lawson K; Usherwood T; Angus L; Corless I; Kmet W; Ferdousi S; Veale K; Saini J; Reath, J. (2017)
- Integrating health care in Australia: a qualitative evaluation. BMC Health Services Research. Trankle SA, Usherwood T, Abbott P, Roberts M, Crampton M, Girgis C, Riskallah J, Chang Y, Saini J, Reath J. (2019)
- Key stakeholder experiences of an integrated healthcare pilot in Australia: A thematic analysis. BMC Health Services Research. Trankle SA, Usherwood T, Abbott P, Roberts M, Crampton M, Girgis C, Riskallah J, Reath J. (2020)
- Model for integrated care for chronic disease in the Australian context: Western Sydney Integrated Care Program. Australian Health Review. N. Wah Cheung A B H , Michael Crampton C D , Victoria Nesire C , Tien-Ming Hng E F , Clara K. Chow B G and On behalf of the Western Sydney Integrated Care Program Investigators. (2019)
- A spatial analysis of referrals to a primary mental health programme in Western Sydney from 2012 to 2015. Maas C, Salinas-Perez JA, Bagheri N, Rosenberg S, Campos W, Gillespie J, Salvador-Carulla L. (2019)
- Pharmacists in general practice: a focus on drug-related problems. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. Benson H, Lucas C, Kmet W, Benrimoj SI, Williams K. (2018)
- Pharmacists in general practice: recommendations resulting from team-based collaborative care. Australian Journal of Primary Health. Benson H, Lucas C, Benrimoj SI, Kmet W, Williams KA. (2019)
- Piloting the integration of non-dispensing pharmacists in the Australian general practice setting: a process evaluation. International Journal of Integrated Care. Benson H, Sabater-Hernández D, Benrimoj SI, Williams KA. (2018)
- WentWest Clinical Pharmacis Project: Evaluation. Benson H, Sabater-Hernandez D, Williams K, Benrimoj SC. (2016)
- The integration of pharmacists in the Australian general practice setting: implementation, evaluation and development of an evidence-based training program. (Doctoral dissertation). Benson HS. (2019)
- Cover story: Saving health care. Australian Pharmacist. Cowie T. (2018)
- The development of a role description and competency map for pharmacists in an interprofessional care setting. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. Benson H, Lucas C, Benrimoj SI, Williams KA. (2019)
- A multilevel stakeholder approach for identifying the determinants of implementation of government-funded community pharmacy services at the primary care level. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. Hossain LN, Tudball J, Franco-Trigo L, Durks D, Benrimoj SI, Sabater-Hernández D. (2018)
- Reducing emergency department presentations among chronically ill patients in Western Sydney: a key role for coordinated primary care. Australian journal of primary health. Mallitt KA, McNab J, Hughes R, Fernyhough J, Paterson J, O’Halloran D. (2017)
- Analysing the capacity of the community pharmacy setting for providing healthcare services: a collaborative stakeholder approach. (Doctoral dissertation). Hossain LN. (2017)
- Systems levers for commissioning primary mental healthcare: a rapid review. Australian Journal of Primary Health. Meurk C, Harris M, Wright E, Reavley N, Scheurer R, Bassilios B, Salom C, Pirkis J. (2018)
- Supporting primary Health care providers in Western Sydney areas of socio-economic disadvantage. King MB, Usherwood T, Brooker R, Reath J. (2016)
- People at the centre of complex adaptive health systems reform. Medical Journal of Australia. Sturmberg JP, O’Halloran DM, Martin CM. (2010)
Progressing Health Now
Find out more about research in Western Sydney and how you can get involved.