The Western Sydney After Hours program aims to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of after hours primary health care to ensure residents of Western Sydney can access the right care, in the right place, at the right time.
What is After Hours?
After hours generally refers to the below times:
These times can often be when local hospital emergency departments get overcrowded with patients who require medical assistance but may not be classed as an emergency injury or illness. To help prevent long wait times for non-urgent medical cases, it may be best to seek alternative advice and treatment.
Note: The above listed operating hours may vary during the end of year period.
After Hours GPs and Pharmacies
There are a number of health and medical services that provide after hours care within Western Sydney. These include GPs, pharmacies and allied health providers.
It’s a good idea to check with your local GP or pharmacists what after hours services they provide.
To help you find the right care for non-urgent medical assistance, we have compiled a list of general practices and pharmacies that are open after hours in Western Sydney:
Access After Hours Services
If your GP or pharmacist is closed, there are other services you can access for medical assistance.
- Unsure if you need medical treatment? You can search healthdirect’s symptom checker for information on your illness or injury. Go to healthdirect.gov.au/symptom-checker
- Need some medical advice? Healthdirect also provides a free 24-hour telephone health service where you can speak to a nurse or GP for advice on the best way to treat an illness or injury. Call 1800 022 222.
- If you need to see doctor, you can search healthdirect’s service finder for a local GP or health service that’s open near you. Go to healthdirect.gov.au/Australian-health-services
- Healthy Western Sydney is a free website for community members in Western Sydney allowing you, your carers and families access to a range of health resources that are recommended by local health professionals. You can access Healthy Western Sydney 24 hours a day.
- There are 24-hour helplines available for other services such as counselling, mental health support, alcohol and other drug support and poisons information.
Western Sydney Hospital Emergency Departments
If you have a serious injury or illness that requires urgent medical attention, you should go to a hospital emergency department or call 000 for an ambulance.
Hospitals in Western Sydney are:
Progressing Health Now
Find out more about other Programs and Priorities for Western Sydney.